I did email him - this is what I said (no response of course)..

---

Mr. Achenbach;

Regarding this..

http://tinyurl.com/maky823

Your
 article linked above concerning the controversy surrounding BICEP2,
trots out the worn-out phrase, "Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence". This is not how science works at all. ALL
claims, no matter how mundane or cosmic, require exactly the same sort
of evidence - reproducible results that can be explained within a known
framework. If such a framework is not at hand, a new one must be
constructed. It is not the nature of the claims, but the robustness of
the framework, that is in question. This phrase has become a sort of
mantra for
 those who insist on pushing worn-out idioms to the breaking point, and
are unwilling to consider new ideas. If anything actually new comes up -
 and I have in mind the observations of Lopez-Corredoira et al regarding
 objects such as NGC 7603 - it is pushed aside with your phrase, as if
the very idea that something new might come to light were offensive to
the entire enterprise.

Now, it may be that subtle claims - e.g. the neutrino exists - require
subtle evidence - as from a giant reservoir of carbon tetrachloride
buried deep in a mine coupled to photoreceptors of extremely exquisite
sensitivity. But that is not the phrase in question. A tacit assumption
is made that world is divided into ordinary and extraordinary parts,
each with its own form of evidence. This is nothing but a tacit retreat
to the world view of Aristotle and his imaginary ethereal realm. When stated
this way, I'm sure it is now clear to you that the
phrase is offensive to the spirit of science.

-drl

"I write a little. I erase a lot." - Chopin