Hi,
[snip]
>A gallium aluminium reaction might also be a good way to go;
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JasZ8V6LpbQ
>
>the oxygen ends up bound to the aluminium so I think you should end up
>with fairly pure hydrogen gas..
>
>I've seen other videos that used this (gallium) paste;
>
>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cool-laboratory-Coollaboratory-Liquid-Pro-Liquid-Metal-Thermal-Paste-/351004610402?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
>
>just put a few drops on a strip of aluminium from an old can.. should
>also work for producing deuterium gas using heavy water.

You can also just add Aluminium (in any metallic form), to an alkaline solution.
Pure Hydrogen evolves rapidly and readily.
This works great with caustic soda, but would probably also work well with
Ammonia, and maybe even with a warm washing soda solution (Sodium Carbonate).

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk