stripping implies a multiple reaction mechanism where one neutron produced
in the first reaction is used by a second reaction.

We would expect to see loads of free neutrons floating around waiting for
the second reaction to begin.

It looks like there is one monolithic reaction happening where protons turn
into neutrons.