I have built myself a marx generator which produces an output voltage of the order of 20kV and which can produce a very nice fat spark if the output electrodes are close enough. I have a conventional geiger counter and I find it beeps if it is within 5cm of the high voltage output. The distance suggests alpha particles, but a peice of card makes no difference so I assume that this is an artefact picked up by the large and abrupt change in the voltage gradient. Oddly I could not find any reference to this artefact on the internet. Is this just something that everyone knows but no-one writes down?

Nigel