The phenomena you describe is what Jo Papp used in his engine to activate
his electrodes, that is, to make them more reactive. Interestingly,
lightning rods in the 1930s contained alpha emitters to better attract the
lightning. I believe that this common practice back in the 30s is
where Papp got his ideas for his electrodes.