http://www.ladir.cnrs.fr/pages/fillaux/157_PAC_2007_1023.pdf

*Proton transfer across hydrogen bonds: From reaction path to Schrödinger’s
cat*

Why does the LENR electrolysis process benefit from and usually require a
potassium bicarbonate catalyst to amplify the LENR reaction?

Potassium bicarbonate as well as the carbonate provides a proton based
molecular pairing that joins hydrogen atoms in a zero spin configuration.
It is a superconductor type of crystal arrangement. The failure to achieve
zero nuclear spin in molecular hydrogen whether that isotope be protium or
deuterium is one of the primary reasons why electrolysis in LENR
experimentation  is so hard to achieve
.