Muon catalyzed fusion could be the enabler of Proton Proton fusion (PP).

The double protons seen in the Piantelli experiments might be due to the
first steps in the PP fusion chain. PP will exist until there is a positron
emission to form deuterium.

The PP could then be fused with nickel to form copper via muon fusion.