  From: Eric Walker
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 8:56 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:Rossi on Ni62

  On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

    I wonder if the new Cu is Cu-63?  Rossi may be implying that Ni-62 goes to
Cu-63, both of which are stable isotopes.  Spin coupling to get rid of the
6.22Mev of excess mass may be the answer--there are no gammas apparently.

  In a 62Ni(d,p)63Ni reaction, the 63Ni will beta- decay to 63Cu.  The proton
will have ~ 5 MeV and will excite 11 keV electrons, which can easily be
shielded.  There will be a delayed gamma emission after the beta- decay of Q=87
keV, however, which will not be fully shielded even by 1cm of lead.  If there
is vigorous deuteron stripping, there will be a lot of motivation to remove
62Ni from the nickel.

  Eric