On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> [snip]
> >On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 1:07 AM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> If it happened nobody would notice.
> >>>

> >> Yes.  I think it would be indistinguishable from an elastic collision
> (if
> >> the two situations are different).
> >>
> >> Eric
> >>

> >That analogy assumes the excited nucleus immediately reverts or fissions
> >back into the original parts.
> >However, if there is a significant time delay before fission occurs and
> the
> >excited nucleus is able to migrate to different site during that delay,
> >then when fission does occur it will cause a local temperature increase at
> >the different site.
>
> There isn't time for it migrate. The fission to either He3 + n or T + p
> happens
> in about 1E-22 sec. For this not to happen, it would have to fission back
> to D+D
> in less time than that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robin van Spaandonk
>
> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html

​I wonder if  the decay time of 1E-22 secs is theoretically derived or if
it is empirically derived. If it is empirically derived then it might not
always be true, but I will accept your point for the time being and switch
to a process involving neutron stripping, which is where our exchange began.

Imagine a line of nickel nuclei with one deuterium nucleus in the gap
between the first two nickel nuclei. The remaining gaps are each occupied
with a hydrogen nucleus.
Imagine just the deuterium and hydrogen nuclei oscillating back and forth
in unison in the gaps. When the deuterium nucleus gets close enough to
connect with the second Nickel nucleus it gives up its neutron to that
nickel nucleus. Since the second nickel nucleus has an extra neutron it is
now in an excited state. While it is excited the hydrogen nucleus on the
left retreats and the hydrogen nucleus on the right  is
approaches. Eventually the hydrogen nucleus on the right connects with the
excited nickel nucleus and the extra neutron in the excited nickel nucleus
is transferred to it. (Technically speaking  this is not a reverse reaction
since it involves a new association, but this is a work in progress which
you and others are helping to complete so forgive me if I do not use always
use the best terms).  The neutron transfers continue so that energy is
moved from the beginning of the line to the end of the line.

I illustrated the process here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dzUFl91yhYGk5CTnAX_eXCYPgIemqlTF3XuQkRQf_hA/edit?usp=sharing

The process is like a bucket brigade but instead of water being transferred
it is fire. Incidentally while looking at some youtube videos of bucket
brigades I stumbled on a video where fire is moved instead of water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsfJZfHARLk

Anyway, if the general conept is not inane, I am sure there are other
possible bucket brigades involving different nuclei.

Harry