The high temp. reactor would be good with a thermo-electric  system.  NASA
likes that idea to  get rid of Pu-238.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE SmartphoneJed Rothwell
<jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:
<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Even if 300C were the limit, would that really be a problem? IIRC Jed has
> mentioned that 300-350C is the usual working temperature of fission
> reactors, so
> it appears to be a usable temperature range.

Yup. See:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/reactor.html

QUOTE: "A typical operating pressure for such reactors is about 70
atmospheres at which pressure the water boils at about 285 deg C. This
operating temperature gives a Carnot efficiency of only 42% with a
practical operating efficiency of around 32%, somewhat less than the PWR."

They use such low temperatures because it reduces wear and tear on the
reactor vessel, the boilers and the turbines. Essentially, they trade off
efficiency for longer equipment life. They can do this because uranium fuel
is so cheap per megajoule.

Nowadays, 32% for a combustion reactor would be scandalous. Combined cycle
plants are ~50% efficient.

This would be a crazy temperature for any other type of power generator. It
would be wasteful. The Carnot efficiency is low. It would be even worse
operating a combustion reactor at this temperature, because combustion is
so much hotter. A large temperature difference between the initial reaction
and the pressurized water makes a system difficult to engineer.

A low temperature would be fine for a cold fusion system because the fuel
is free. Carnot efficiency does not matter. However, it would mean the
reactor is bulky, and it would produce a lot of waste heat, so it needs a
big radiator. It would not be good for an automobile engine. It might look
a little like a 19th century steam tractor -- all engine!