At 04:23 AM 10/9/2014, Teslaalset wrote:
I find it quite a coincident that after 32 days approximately all Ni and Li were transmuted to Ni62 and Li6. I would have guessed that running out of the original isotopes would create a reduced performance which would be the reason for shutdown.
Why has this not been mentioned?

Although none of the tests show it, I still believe that the ECAT will run, as advertised, for at least 6 months on one charge. The time for this test was set by the experimental team (and most likely by their host, which was paying for the power).

I'm beginning to think that this transmutation was a "burn-in" secondary effect, particularly for the Lithium, which was there only to provide the hydrogen.

If you ignore the bump when they changed the input power levels (files 4 to 6) the COP increased almost linearly over the whole test.

So maybe the "long term" COP depends on these transmutations -- ie the availability of (most likely) Ni62, and coincidentally Li6 -- and would have stabilized just a few days later when the transmutation was complete.

I wonder if Rossi knew this would happen. However, he usually runs his Ecats at higher power, so the burn-in might be much quicker -- and he's never analyzed the ash that early.

He's also hinted that the 1MW "baby" at the "customer" has also needed constant attention and adjustment (including being called out in the middle of the night). Maybe it too is undergoing a settling-in period --- it's also been running for less than a month.

But we won't get those results for at least a year, and they will be purely internal documents.

In short, I think it IS coincidental that the Ni and Li transmutation was nearly complete at the end of the run, but that some other reaction continues beyond that point.

And even if the 1g charge DID have to be replaced monthly it would probably still be economical.