they dropped the powder in through a hole and then sealed it with alumina
refractory glue around a metal thermocouple (why are its readings not
reported???).  Apart from the fact that the 'glue' would have residual
porosity that would probably help vent all hydrogen at high temp that is
pretty strong indicator that there is no refractory metal shell in there to
prevent leakage if that is a big deal.

A metal shell would tend to shield any pulsed magnetic field that Rossi
claims is critical to operation.  Also a metal shell would need to be
insulated to prevent shorting of the resistor wires, and all of that would
make the inner vessel even hotter - which seems pretty undesirable.

An observer there for the opening reported no such refractory shell (though
might be under NDA).

And lastly refractory metals are heavy.  A quick check of density of
alumina and exterior size of reactor all weighing under Fig1 452g with
resistance wire inside is a strong indication of no such additional
components being inside.