On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Craig Haynie <cchayniepub...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/20/2014 04:30 PM, H Veeder wrote:
>
>> In this context the temperature /T/
>> ​ is known​
>> a-priori
>> ​ and
>>  the output power /q/
>> ​ is known ​
>> a posteriori , so emissivity /ε/
>> ​ will​
>>  adjust the ouptut power downwards
>> ​ if​
>>  0
>> ​ ​
>> <
>> ​ ​
>> /ε/ <1
>>
>>  q = ε σ T^4  A
>>
>> ​Harry​
>>

> Right, but the internal temperature could be at 1300C but only glow at an
> apparent 950C; isn't that how emissivity would change the observed visible
> color from that seen on this color chart?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescence#mediaviewer/
> File:Incandescence_Color.jpg
>
> Craig

/q/ is calculated from T which is the measured surface temperature. It is
not necessary to know the internal temperature. A colour chart should only
be used when you already know the cause of the illumination. Incandescent
illumination is caused by heat.

This is a "New World" so we should be careful how we classify the native
life.

Harry