Most relivant quotes from the article:

“People have been conditioned by 40 years of cultural programming to have
an aversion to cannabis (cold fusion/aether etc...).* It doesn’t really
matter what sort of evidence is presented*, most people simply react
emotionally to the claim rather than rationally evaluating the evidence for
it. People confuse the ideal of science with how science actually operates
in the real world, and then working from that assumption they *assume this
issue would have been conclusively proven and endorsed by the establishment
if it were true.* Unfortunately this is an overly simplistic understanding
of how the system works” said Dr Lucifero.

“Even amongst educated people the issue is still controversial. Research
has shown over and over that a person's opinion on a scientific issue,
whether it be evolution or climate change or what have you, has more to do
with their political identification than it does with their level of
scientific literacy. This is equally true for those who have the highest
level of scientific literacy in our society as it is for those who have the
lowest” he explained.

“When it all comes down to it, this isn’t a scientific issue, it’s a
political issue. “

Sound familiar?