That is a good point.

If a few of the right people with very high trust capital were to pronounce
that cold fusion, or some model of the aether (by any name) was correct,
there would be a large number sit up and take notice.

But it must be trust and not popularity, Tom Cruise isn't making fans of
his movies or him seriously consider Scientology.

It might be worth changing 2 or 3 of the right minds than convincing
several million regular people.