Hi Dave,
[snip]
>Kinetic energy is calculated directly by the magnitude of relative velocity of
>the ship to the observer and therefore the second guy sees essentially no net
>change in kinetic energy once the drive cycle is completed.

>Also notice that the energy is nonlinear with velocity.  The fact that it is
>proportional to the second power of the velocity allows the direction to
>become unimportant.

>I am beginning to suspect that you are playing games at this point.  All you
>need to do is to look up the definition of kinetic energy to see that what I
>am stating is correct.  I have no idea why you think kinetic energy has
>anything to do with the change in velocity instead of the net relative
>velocity.

Velocity is a vector quantity, which means that it has both direction and
magnitude. Before you square the quantity, you need to do vector addition (or
subtraction in this case). The fact that the direction has changed, makes a
difference in the change in kinetic energy. If you prefer, consider the fact
that in order to change direction, the craft has to first decelerate until its
speed is zero, then accelerate again in the opposite direction.
Both observers see the same acceleration of the craft, but for one of them this
results in a velocity of 2 m/s in one direction, while for other it appears as a
change in velocity from +1 m/s to -1 m/s (or if you prefer from -1 m/s to +1
m/s).

> Perhaps you can quote a source. ;)

Any physics book.

>Dave