Ben Collier wrote:
> Hi
>
> Reading the web site I notice that there was an MP3 player device?
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1) What happened to it?

Yes, there was a kind of mp3 jukebox, where VOS was used to manage the
playlist. The core VOS library has gone through a couple of
reimplementations and design changes (we refer to them as s1. s2
["MOS"], s3, s4 [current release series], s5 [upcoming refinement and
fix to s4, Peter can say more about it]), and the playlist program was
lost somewhere in there.

It did not do streaming, it just managed the playlist.

I put some ideas for redoing it on the Wiki ("MusicMob Jukebox", also
with the idea that it could be used for sharing all kinds of files in
groups (playlists) among PCs on a LAN or the Internet) but nobody's
working on anything like it right now.

> 2) Would it be possible to integrate mp3 playing functionality into
> Ter'angreal in order to allow users to stream mp3 music from physical
> locations in Omnivos worlds (perhaps volume varying with proximity)?
>
> I would have thought that would be a bit of a killer app. After all,
> there's
> a lot more customisation available in 3d than in MySpace.
>
 > 3) How about a similar thing with streaming video over textures on 3d
 > objects?

Yeah, I think both would be really great, both things we've wanted to do
but never got a chance to work on.

Also triggering samples (WAV files) to play spatialized to add simple
ambient sound effects (think birds singing) is a big enhancement to a
virtual environment, and would be a bit easier or an easier first step.
CrystalSpace has a plugin that can play WAV and other files (and I think
Ogg Vorbis too?).

Reed