Peter Amstutz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 07:23:05AM -0500, Reed Hedges wrote:
>> How is this different than the way things currently are?
>
> It's not, except that s5 uses 32 bit identifiers as the "canonical name"
> of a vobject rather than arbitrary strings.
>
>> Are you proposing to require that all objects except one special root
>> have at least one parent?  Or just to encourage that practice for most
>> objects?
>
> Requiring it.  This allows us to have one unified namespace instead of
> lots of little subtrees hanging off the site root.

OK, so / is the root object, not the site, (and if you ask it to
list-children you only get objects in the root, not all) and /foo is an
objet that's properly in the root, but  /$abcde is bypassing the
"filesystem" and accessing directly by ID?

No way to get *all* objects on a site? (Might be useful, not for remote
access but when working with COD files, say)

Also I think this
> makes it easier to ultimately start defining recommendations for
> organization (i.e. where does vobject reflection go, configuration,
> worlds, hypervos pages, etc...  it may well end up looking like a unix
> filesystem!)

Right, well we already do this sometimes, it's just all ad hoc. Actually
I like the ad-doc nature, one nice thing about VOS is that it's not
neccesary to have a conforming structure, so long as you have the right
references to the right vobjects with the right types in the right places.

 > Obviously this is
> partially a programming problem that they weren't freed properly, but it
> would be a great advantage to be able to automatically sweep up these
> loose vobjects.

Do you think that this problem is actually a feature? If you want to
move objects out of the normal tree but still keep them around.  I.e. if
it garbage collected you'de have to move the objects to /tmp etc.

Reed