>An unsorted list of all the thing we want Interreality 3D to do.

One of the things I had always figured I would attempt to include in
my operating system which I had wanted to call VOS, is the capability
to not only downscale to systems which could not support hardware
rendering (less than 8mb video-ram), but to downscale resolution and
videoram requirements even further, so that the graphics engine would
be capable of running on even the earliest pentium1's, and perhaps,
any 486s or 386s people had kicking around in their basements.

Surely, it is a possibility that people are still running windows 3
here and there, and there are some who even run DOS with tenacity, (as
they have made DOS software to support ethernet network connections
from DOS to various windows platforms), and such were people I had
wanted to appeal to, by telling them that their hardware is still
capable... As anybody who has run Menuet, QNX, or Linux on a Floppy
could tell you.

My train of thought crashed something like this:
If their hardware were incapable, why would it have been invented in
the first place?
If hardware today is simply transitional, why did you even buy it?
Why shouldn't a software vendor support plugins for hardware that
people may still be running?

So I guess my question is, how down-scalable can we make VOS? What are
the minimum system requirements right now, and what lesser hardwares
could we support with relatively little tweaking?