Understood.

However, I also understand that everyday, people are told by
conglomerates that their systems are incapable, and need to be
'upgraded' or 'replaced'. I understand that they are only doing their
part to ensure that new technologies are accepted, and therefore,
lower priced in the future. However, the truth is, unless you want to
agree that your first computer, the computer you own today, and the
computer you will own 30 years from now are ALL CRAP, then you're
going to have to accept that your first computer was GREAT (for it's
time), your modern computer is GREAT (for it's time), and the computer
you will own 30 years from now will also be GREAT (for it's time).

What I would like people to realize, is that 'it's time' spans a
greater amount of time than people think. If you buy a Commodore64 off
of Ebay, you'll find that, YES, There are Commodores out there that
still work. They will still run those old games (assuming the floppies
or tapes aren't too awfully corrupted). And they will also run
"Demos", which are programs that make the seemingly impossible
*possible*, and you can get such demos from POUET.NET. Likewise, the
computer you will own 30 years from now _might_ be capable of playing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkreiger without lag.

Take a minute to read over http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-waste ...
And then tell me that it's not a problem. If you plug an ISA 10BASE-T
ethernet card into your 386, what's to stop it from communicating over
IPX or TCP with your 10/100 network? Thankfully, people use VirtualPCs
so much that such DOS network drivers have remained someone
mainstream, or at least, they haven't faded into obscurity, and can be
recovered with a quick google.

To dispel another urban legend; Adding more RAM to your computer won't
always make it faster. If you have a low amount, perhaps 16mb, then
maybe you'll notice a significant increase in speed if you're trying
to use Photoshop to draw pictures, or Firefox to browse the internet.
Beyond that, the problem lies with the Operating System, and Memory
Management. What Microsoft fails to tell you is that your Virtual
Memory does most of the fragmentation and slowdown of your system.
(MyComputer> Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Advanced>
VirtualMemory> Change) If you click 'Custom' and set the values to the
same number (512 works for me) then fragmentation all but stops
(assuming you only download or install one file at a time), and if you
actually HAVE more than 512 MB RAM, you can turn off your paging file
entirely, and things will likely speed up dramatically.

In fact, if you use an operating system like BeOS, where they got the
Virtual Memory Management right, the first time, you won't have to
worry about such things at all, as they're all done for you, by smart
programmers. Try BeOS or Haiku out sometime. On that old dusty 100 Mhz
machine that you stashed away in your closet for a rainy day...

All I'm saying is; If we're going to support such downscaled features
on cellphones, it would be great if we didn't limit those features
from the x86-release, if people really want to use them. Not everyone
has a 2ghz machine. But everyone should be invited to
play/interact/communicate with VOS, whether or not they have a
cellphone. Right?

-Steve