++ 1

len

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Braden McDaniel

Why isn't this a job for a metadata spec? It seems to me that this kind
of semantic information is too application-specific to encode in the
structure of the file format itself.

Note that you can attach metadata to any node in X3D. I don't know what
the case is with COLLADA; however, you could also transmit such metadata
out-of-band.

The out-of-band solution has a couple of interesting qualities:
      * It readily supports a notion of allowing the same scene to mean
        different things to different clients.
      * You could potentially define mappings from the semantic metadata
        file format to multiple different geometry file formats. So the
        same semantic data could be meaningful regardless of whether the
        geometry was expressed in X3D, COLLADA, or whatever.

Anyone who's ever used HTML and CSS should be seeing an analogy here.

Whether the semantic metadata lives out-of-band or in the scene,
coupling the nature of its specification to that of the geometry seems
like the Wrong Way.