On 2/2/07, Ken Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Reed Hedges wrote:
> > One thing that I'd like to have at some point is a way to "enter"
> > another object/space; e.g. when flying around the solar system it's
> > really a "scale model" of sorts, until you decide to descend to the
> > surface of a planet.   I guess the planet is basically a hyperlink to
> > another version of itself. Perhaps the transition could be triggered
> > automatically by proximity too. (though that might be confusing or
> > irritating to users.)
> >

> Have you guys ever played with Celestia?  http://www.shatters.net/celestia/
> ... it seems like a lot from this discussion has been implemented there one
> way or another.

looks terrific, downloading now.

it uses a combo of very high precision and local frames of reference
(which eventually translates to moving the origin piecewise).
"A position-object contains the exact coordinates of a point in space.
Internally position-objects use 128bit per component and therefore
have higher precision than available directly in Lua (which typically
uses 64-bit double-precision). A position is relative to a coordinate
system (i.e. a frame of reference, see frame) and may need to be
converted to or from universal coordinates before further use."
Sounds like one of the three main categories of approaches to avoiding
spatial jitter: piecewise shifting of origin in a continuous space.
That is a good model and what I see as a first stage solution towards
a full origin centric approach.

> Now something like Google Earth integrated into something like Celestia
> would be really kick-ass.

FYI Michael Jones (Google Earth CTO) once said to me in a Cartographic
birds of feathers meeting at siggraph that he used something like a
floating origin concept (which I was presenting at the time) on Google
Earth.

chris