On 2/2/07, Reed Hedges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> chis wrote:
> > The best combo of techniques from research IMHO is what I call
> > origin-centric techniques that build on the concept of a continuous
> > floating origin (in the client side display system), includes special
> > management of clip planes and LOD and a slightly different simulation
> > pipeline architecture end-to-end from server to client.  Plus stuff
> > like imposters for distant objects in galaxies.
> >
> > Note since this is all the subject of my thesis I may be considered a
> > bit biased in this area :)
>
> Oh, that's great! Please share your expertise.

I can refer you to some papers/presentations/videos etc. The rest will
have to come either from discussions like this or in later material I
write. But first I think I'll begin with posing some thought problems
that you can have a go at answering - I'll give the answers after with
images, code/whatever to back it up.

> So what are some of the requirements on the server/networking?
> (Generally speaking, if that's possible.)

i'll get to that later ...

> One thing that I'd like to have at some point is a way to "enter"
> another object/space; e.g. when flying around the solar system it's
> really a "scale model" of sorts, until you decide to descend to the
> surface of a planet.   I guess the planet is basically a hyperlink to
> another version of itself. Perhaps the transition could be triggered
> automatically by proximity too. (though that might be confusing or
> irritating to users.)

That's a nice idea but might be difficult. GeoVRML addressed this in a
different way:
they continuously scaled both avatar size and speed as you moved
towards planet surface
based on height above surface. That only suits some apps tho - like
what if u want to enter a space station and ur avatar was 10 times
bigger than the station!

In theory, scaling of the space (and objects) does not solve the
problem of navigation such large spatial extents because it just
scales the problems with it. however, I have experienced some benefits
in some cases that are currently unexplained.

Basically, I find the main things here are managing the origin, clip
planes (i.e. z buffer resolution), LOD. And if you look at O'Neil's
articles you will see some of this plus stuff on imposters for
planets, stars.

chris