Hi everyone,

I just came back from vacation and am catching up with my e-mail
right now.
I may be late to the discussion, but I want to throw in my two cents
anyway :-)

What is the Metaverse? (Matrix, Cyberspace, YouNameIt)

In my opinion, it is not a protocol/file-format/system, it is a feature.

<background>
In the "traditional" Internet world, you don't have a one-size-fits-
all protocol, file format, or tool. What you use depends on the
requirements of your application. If you want to transfer a file, you
use an FTP client and the FTP protocol over TCP. If you want a live
audio stream, you use an audio player supporting RTP (or something
similar) over UDP. Sure, there is the common IP protocol, but by
itself it is good for nothing at all.

The WWW integrates a number of these different functions in the form
of hyperlinked multi-media documents. But this is still only a
partial solution! Sure you can watch a video in the browser, but for
a better experience most people download it and use a full-screen
standalone player. Sure you can design great documents with HTML/CSS,
but PDF still has its place. There is AJAX, but... you catch my
drift. The Web-Browser can get you 90% of almost everything, but
never all, and nobody really expects it to. Its main quality is to
provide a common interface for browsing information.
</background>

The Metaverse/Cyberspace/Matrix in SF literature has the same quality
as the WWW - it is an integrator for a number of different spatial
content and applications. This is something we don't have today,
regardless of what LL or anybody claims.  VRML, Collada, Flux, even
VOS... interesting building blocks already out there, but no
Metaverse by themself.

I don't believe that a single protocol, data model, or system could
ever solve all problems and accomplish every goal. Like in the
traditional Internet, the requirements differ too much among 3D
applications. When you chat with friends in a virtual pub, you need a
different protocol than when you go to the arcade to play an FPS
game. When you do virtual flight training, you need a different data
model than when you study surgery at Virtual Medical School. And so
on...

In my opinion, if we want a Metaverse (do we?), we need something
that can get us from application A to B without too much of a hiccup.
It likely has to support multiple protocols and data models for this
purpose. It will not deliver 90% right from the start, and I'd settle
for a lot less. After all, you cannot really compare Mosaic to Mozilla.

The question to ask of every protocol/data model/tool thus is, how
well does it serve integration? Or in other words: How metaverse is it?

Regards,
Karsten Otto (kao)