Thanx Mr. Salzman for helping me with my posting woes.  Found out that my sending e-mail address was missing the last .net.  I followed the directions given in the lugod fact ( which I would have never had found if it weren't for you) and viola!  Anyway...here is my previous message:

Greetings:
I am very new to computers let alone the linux operating system.  I am very interested in buying some new hardware, suse linux professional 8.1 software, and some other things to make a local area network in my house for my family and me.

I am going to get cable broadband very soon and want to have linux as my server.  My family uses another OS besides linux.  Can I still run these non linux systems off of my future linux server via LAN?  Does linux have easily configurable firewalls?  Can I easily adjust settings so my teenage daughter can't log on the internet at 2:30 in the morning?  Do I have to worry about what modem I can or can not use?

Grasshopper