Rad,

Hmm, my steps work on a Norhtec MicroClient SxJr with a VIA vt6655 wireless
card.

Did you do "ndiswrapper -ma"? This will make it load at startup in the file
/etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.

Perhaps you need to try a different version of the windows driver?

Also you can try creating/modifying the file /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper and put in the
line "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper".

Sean

varadarajan narayanan wrote:
Hi !

I tired Ndiswrapper and did not have much luck.

1) ndiswrapper -i VNWL.inf  > ndiswrapper -i vnwl.inf

The card was not detected at all . After lot of googling around ,I
found that the module may be missing.

Tried lsmod  > ndiswrapper was missing.

I tried modprobe ndiswrapper as mentioned in the original artilce.

"FATAL module Ndiswrapper was not found."

Again after lot of googling I tried the age old method ,

 "insmod lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/ndiswrapper.ko".

It worked !

 lsmod shows module ndiswrapper installed.

2) But even though /etc/network/interfaces like you mentioned ,

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid SMC
wireless-key <key>

 I get with iwconfig >

IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
         Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
         RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
         Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

What am I doing wrong ? And if I reboot I have to do insmod again !

Please help !

Cheers

Rad