Gustin Johnson <gus...@...> writes:

> Also, kismet is showing your AP as unsecured because hostap is not
> running.  If hostap is not running, then kismet is not detecting
> encrypted frames.

Yes, strange that Windows host shows WPA2 enabled AP

> Here are my configs:
> ** note, I have two physical devices in my ALix, which is why the
> bridged device is ath1

I tried your settings but it doesn't help
I had some errors though

voyage:~# hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Line 20: unknown configuration item 'ctrl_inerface_group'
Line 23: unknown configuration item 'eapol_key_index_wokraround'
2 errors found in configuration file '/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf'

May be you have a different version of the hostapd. My version is 0.5.10

Could it be that madwifi version of the driver does not support my card?
I have following chipset
wifi0: Atheros AR5213A chip found (MAC 5.9, PHY 2112 4.3, Radio 4.6)

Cannot find madwifi driver version though