please keep voyage ccd,
someone else may have important input.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Simon Hafner <reactorm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/8/14 Jim Cromie <jim.cro...@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM, liquid <liqui...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install voyage linux 0.8.5 on an Alix 3d2 board via pxe boot.
>>> I can see that it loads the image properly, but the boot process hangs on
>>> "Switching to clocksource tsc". I've seen that voyage uses newer kernel
>>> version, which i suspect to be the problem. I have been able to install and
>>> boot debian stable on 2.6.32 kernel on this board, but i need the newer
>>> kernel's support for MP-6x10 driver. I have already tried adding "nomfgpt"
>>> kernel parameter and setting "clocksource=" to various values. The card's
>>> bios version is 0.99h (newest), and it supports some kind of MFGPT
>>> workaround, which I have also been trying switching on. I have no idea what
>>> else i could try to boot the system, so i beg you for help :)
>>
>> I have a soekris 4801, which iirc has the same CPU, with the same TSC bug:
>> the tsc clock slows down under some situations :  iirc when kernel scheduler
>> runs the idle task
>>
>> The kernel has detected this for ages, and switches to another clocksource,
>> 1st pit, then finally to scx200_hrt, which has higher resolution, and less
>> overhead accessing it.
>>
>> root@voyage:~# dmesg | grep -i -E 'tsc|clocksource'
>> [    0.000000] Fast TSC calibration using PIT
>> [    0.401200] Switching to clocksource pit
>> [    6.431014] Switching to clocksource tsc
>> [    8.423737] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -103967911 ns)
>> [    8.433916] Switching to clocksource pit
>> [   47.369942] Switching to clocksource scx200_hrt
>
> I don't see any of those.

hmm - thats odd.
Im running daily-build now, so cant go back and check,
but those messages have been there as long as I can remember.

Can you confirm that the Alix actually has a Geode ?
if not, then the clocksource business above isnt relevant.

root@voyage:~# more /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : Geode by NSC
cpu family      : 5
model           : 9
model name      : Unknown
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 266.667

If it is a geode, please try daily-build,
then we can closely compare your dmesg to mine.