Item added to https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/Meeting#Agenda

From: vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io [mailto:vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io] On
Behalf Of Ed Warnicke
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2017 7:37 PM
To: Luke, Chris <chris_l...@comcast.com>
Cc: vpp-dev <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>; Damjan Marion <dmarion.li...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] Committer / Maintainer model.

In the frenzy around the 17.01 release, this seems to have died down a bit.
Seems worth revitalizing the discussion somewhat, as it appears to have
been productive.

I tend to be something of an incrementalist, and strongly opposed to layering
too much bureaucracy on things, but sometimes finding a way to restructure
input can be helpful without bringing extra weight... so lets explore it a bit
:)

Towards that end, I would suggest:

1)  Let's talk about this in the vpp call tomorrow morning (Dave, if I could
impose, would you add this to the agenda)
2)  Let's look into getting a gerrit to discuss around a MAINTAINER file.  I
personally tend to find it is easier to talk around a gerrit in circumstances
like this
3)  Let's look into what it would take to get gerrit to auto assign reviewers
based on that file
4)  Discuss how folks feel about the the vpp committers adopting among
themselves a policy of waiting for and respecting +1/-1 from maintainers
impacted by a patch.  Clearly, committers have to retain the right to exercise
judgment, but maybe something like adding a comment to the gerrit to provide
clarity when they do not wait for a review from an impacted maintainer would
also be a good social expectation to develop.

Basically, let's explore the mechanics that would make it possible to explore
this space, and talk about what would be good social conventions to try out.

Thoughts?

Ed

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Luke, Chris