On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM, John Lo (loj) <l...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>

> The bridge domain (BD) 0 is created by VPP on startup to be a dummy BD and
> not intended to be used by user. BD 0 is created with everything turned off
> to drop packets in it. It is used by VPP to handle the transition of
> changing interface between L2 bridging and L3 mode so that if a packet is
> received or sent during the transition, the packet will default to BD 0 and
> be dropped safely without crashing VPP. This is why BD 0 is not shown in BD
> dump as it should not be used.

Thanks, John.

I understand what it is, where it is created, and why.

The end user is allowed to modify its configuration, though.
The end user should be able to inspect its settings.

If the user was not able to change its config, then it would
make sense to not dump its details as they would be known
and static.

If it should not be "used" (and I assume you mean "modified"),
because users do use it for packet processing purposes, then
the CLI and API should consistently enforce and reject requests
to modify BDI == 0.

Thanks,
jdl