Hi Marco,

On 6/9/17, Marco Varlese <marco.varl...@suse.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 13:53 +0200, Andrew 👽  Yourtchenko wrote:
>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> Yes, this works as expected, assuming after deletion *all* the traffic
>> is denied, rather than just the SSH traffic.
>>
>> If you apply to an interface the ACL# that does not exist, that is the
>> same as if there was an ACL with just the "deny all" semantics, to
>> avoid the perception that a given policy is enforced when it isn't -
>> so I erred on the side of caution.
>>
>> The way to remove the ACL: you would ensure the ACL is not applied to
>> the interface(s) first, then remove the ACL (or replace it with a
>> different policy in-place).
> Ok, which function would allow me to unset the ACL from an interface?
> I see on the documentation that 'acl_interface_add_del' is marked as "not
> recommended" hence I wonder whether it will soon be marked as deprecated
> and
> eventually removed.

I encourage the users to use the acl_interface_set_acl_list mostly
because it has a clearer (IMHO) semantics - removing all the ACLs
means simply setting the empty list for in+out...

As for the deprecation - I think it will be a while, if at all. And of
course if the users say "no, we find it useful and we need it", then
it won't be deprecated at all :-)

>> Alternatively, you can just replace the existing ACL in-place with
>> "permit any" for IPv4 and IPv6 - this way you explicitly state that
>> there is a policy to permit all the traffic.
>>
>> I've been bitten myself and seen several times in my career when an
>> applied but non-existent ACL caused problems later on, in the worst
>> possible moment. The current behaviour IMHO makes the config
>> discrepancy clear - what do you think ?
> In the past, when I had to work on ACL implementation, I approached the
> solution
> differently: an ACL (whether deny or permit) which is referenced (e.g.
> applied
> to one or multiple interfaces) if deleted would see a cascading effect
> (please,
> allow me the expression) of that deletion onto any interface which was
> referencing it.
>
> The "problem" I see - with the current approach - is that once an ACL is
> deleted
> it's much harder to understand / debug why a given flow is either permitted
> or
> not (depending on the action of the ACL). If you have hundreds or thousands
> of
> ACL/rules then things get complicated very quickly.
> Instead, by applying the "cascading" effect hence freeing the interfaces
> from
> the previous behaviour, things would have a 1:1 mapping between what you see
> in
> configuration (acl_dump) with the flows you see on the network.

True, this is also a valid approach, feel free to submit a gerrit
doing this. :-)

I will also add you to a draft of my work-in-progress quicker lookup
so you can see how it all interacts (and indeed will be happy to hear
your feedback on that one too!)

I think the definition of policy and its application from the control
plane standpoint  in this day  should be automated - so then the
control plane would have to do this housekeeping already anyway
internally, thus unapplying the ACL is just (in my understanding) just
a single call. But I can see the benefits of the automatic cleanup
too, so I am happy with either way. (especially since this does not
break the things for the clients that do the unapply already).

--a