From: vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io [mailto:vpp-dev-boun...@lists.fd.io] On
Behalf Of Luke, Chris
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 8:51 AM
To: Dave Barach <d...@barachs.net>; vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] Please Call DigSafe...

Hi Dave,

After spending a few minutes to work out that you were talking about a proposed
patch and not something any of us had merged (and, especially not that I
merged!), I see that what we need is a balance between not discouraging people
to experiment, or submit their ideas, but to also steer people towards relevant
leads before they get in too deep.

Problem is, if people make huge patches before ever talking to someone, our
first contact is when they submit it. The teaching moment is when the reviewer
notices it. That is obviously too late for the first patch, but should help
with subsequent work.

This is why open source generally prefers people to keep their patches small
and thematic; most reviewers tire of seeing many large patches when they are
developed in isolation and are directionally unsound - to the point that they
start to see the color bar in the review list and if it's yellow-or-worse, and
not from someone they specifically associate with quality work, typically those
submissions end up ignored.

I don't think we have contribution guidelines for VPP or fd.io in general
(apart from the style and doc guides); at least a very quick scan of the wiki
was not fruitful. We should have somewhere to send new people (can we nudge
people who login to Gerrit for the first time?), and also people whose first
submission is unacceptable (too big, too complex, directionally unsound). And
we as reviewers should remain vigilant and, importantly, consistent.

Chris.