Hi Berenger,

Thanks for the report!

There are two issues here. First of all, echo_server/client apps are testing
apps that can misbehave is not properly configured. I just tried master with 4
workers for both and with the following configuration:

server: test echo server fifo-size 4096 uri udp://6.0.1.1/1234 no-echo
client: test echo client fifo-size 4096 test-timeout 100 no-return mbytes 10000
uri udp://6.0.1.1/1234 <udp://6.0.1.1/1234>

DBGvpp# test echo client fifo-size 4096 test-timeout 100 no-return mbytes 10000
uri udp://6.0.1.1/1234
1 three-way handshakes in 0.00 seconds 1398.78/s
Test started at 4.588836
Test finished at 12.819988
10485760000 bytes (10000 mbytes, 9 gbytes) in 8.23 seconds
1273911466.12 bytes/second half-duplex
10.1913 gbit/second half-duplex

Note that this is with a debug image, release images should be able to do
40Gbps or more but with tx drops. I suspect you've used the server/client
commands without no-echo/no-return options and you’ve hit an assert in the
echo-server put in place for tcp. TCP pins connections to a worker, udp does
not anymore. The reason why I only run with no-echo/no-return is because udp is
not reliable and the echo apps, as programmed now, fail on any packet drop. The
echo apps could be improved to avoid this kind of surprises but at this time
this is not very high on my list. Still, in light of your report, I’ve updated
the wiki page here [1] so hopefully this can be avoided in the future.

The other issue is IPSec + udp. Unfortunately, I’ve never run this combination.
However, from your report, it would seem that packets do hit ipX-local, in
which case a checksum error should be properly reported, as opposed to “unknown
ip protocol”. Could it be that your udp server is not turned on? For more
clues, I would run vpp from gdb and take a closer look at what happens in
ipX_local_inline.

To check if your udp server is running: sh app server

[1] https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/HostStack/EchoClientServer