--
Damjan

> On 20 Sep 2018, at 20:26, Stephen Hemminger <step...@networkplumber.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 20:15:34 +0200
> Damjan Marion <dmar...@me.com <mailto:dmar...@me.com>> wrote:
>
>> Damjan
>>
>>> On 20 Sep 2018, at 19:57, Stephen Hemminger <step...@networkplumber.org
>>> <mailto:step...@networkplumber.org>> wrote:

>>> Why is there not a simple link on FD.io <http://fd.io/> developer web page
>>> to report bugs.
>>> Reporting bugs page talks about the data BUT DOESN'T GIVE THE PROCESS.
>>>
>>> If you are using JIRA why not vpp-bugs mail alias?
>>
>> wiki.fd.io <http://wiki.fd.io/> <http://wiki.fd.io/ <http://wiki.fd.io/>> ->
>> VPP -> Reporting Bugs
>> Leads to: https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/BugReports
>> <https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/BugReports>
>> <https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/BugReports
>> <https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/BugReports>>
>
> Why is there not a link to mailto:vpp-dev or where you want the bug reports
> to occur?

wiki.fd.io <http://wiki.fd.io/> -> VPP -> Bug Reports

Will read you to JIRA.

In this particular case will be easier to submit patch than to fill bug report.
It is literally about changing "%s" to "%v".

>>> I tried creating a virtio user device and noticed that the device name
>>> displayed is garbage:
>>> DBGvpp# create vhost-user socket /var/run/vpp/sock1.sock server
>>> VirtualEthernet0/0/0
>>> DBGvpp# show vhost-user
>>> Virtio vhost-user interfaces
>>> Global:
>>> coalesce frames 32 time 1e-3
>>> number of rx virtqueues in interrupt mode: 0
>>> Interface: VirtualEthernet0/0/0�x�D (ifindex 3)
>>>                              ^^^^^^
>>
>> Yeah, typical vector vs string foobar, I might be guilty for this one 3-4
>> years ago.
>> Interesting that nobody spotted it before :)
>>
>> Are you using clang to compile?
>
> This is Ubuntu 18-04 with gcc 7.3.0
>

>>> Looking at source, vmxnet3 has same bug.
>>
>> ack
>>

>>> Looks like a bug related to string handling.
>>> Somewhat disgruntled that VPP had to reinvent strings in C.
>>
>> It might be because VPP was build long time ago for systems which doesn't
>> have standard C library.
>>
>> I know it is annoying for somebody new to vpp, but soon you start to like
>> it...
>
> Probably, the best solution would be to add some static checking to catch
> these kind of bugs.  Ideally the format and related functions could get some
> type checking (like kernel and gcc are able to do).

We can potentially do something to improve that, at least when we know that
string is inside vector,
but will be hard to address all cases...