Performance speedup in incredible!

Le 25/01/2019 18:09, « vpp-dev@lists.fd.io au nom de Damjan Marion via
Lists.Fd.Io » <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io au nom de dmarion=me....@lists.fd.io> a
écrit :

    I am very close to the finish line with buffer management rework patch, and
would like to
    ask people to take a look before it is merged.

    https://gerrit.fd.io/r/16638

    It significantly improves performance of buffer alloc free and introduces
numa awareness.
    On my skylake platinum 8180 system, with native AVF driver observed
performance improvement is:

    - single core, 2 threads, ipv4 base forwarding test, CPU running at 2.5GHz
(TB off):

    old code - dpdk buffer manager: 20.4 Mpps
    old code - old native buffer manager: 19.4 Mpps
    new code: 24.9 Mpps

    With DPDK drivers performance stays same as DPDK is maintaining own
internal buffer cache.
    So major perf gain should be observed in native code like: vhost-user,
memif, AVF, host stack.

    user facing changes:
    to change number of buffers:
      old startup.conf:
        dpdk { num-mbufs XXXX }
      new startup.conf:
        buffers { buffers-per-numa XXXX}

    Internal changes:
     - free lists are deprecated
     - buffer metadata is always initialised.
     - first 64-bytes of metadata are initialised on free, so buffer alloc is
very fast
     - DPDK mempools are not used anymore, we register custom mempool ops, and
dpdk is taking buffers from VPP
     - to support such operation plugin can request external header space - in
case of DPDK it stores rte_mbuf + rte_mempool_objhdr

    I'm still running some tests so possible minor changes are possible, but
nothing major expected.

    --
    Damjan