Thanks, for the optimizations. Will try verifying it on my setup.

From: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> On Behalf Of Damjan Marion via
Lists.Fd.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:09 AM
To: vpp-dev <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>
Cc: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: [vpp-dev] RFC: buffer manager rework

I am very close to the finish line with buffer management rework patch, and
would like to
ask people to take a look before it is merged.

https://gerrit.fd.io/r/16638

It significantly improves performance of buffer alloc free and introduces numa
awareness.
On my skylake platinum 8180 system, with native AVF driver observed performance
improvement is:

- single core, 2 threads, ipv4 base forwarding test, CPU running at 2.5GHz (TB
off):

old code - dpdk buffer manager: 20.4 Mpps
old code - old native buffer manager: 19.4 Mpps
new code: 24.9 Mpps

With DPDK drivers performance stays same as DPDK is maintaining own internal
buffer cache.
So major perf gain should be observed in native code like: vhost-user, memif,
AVF, host stack.

user facing changes:
to change number of buffers:
  old startup.conf:
    dpdk { num-mbufs XXXX }
  new startup.conf:
    buffers { buffers-per-numa XXXX}

Internal changes:
 - free lists are deprecated
 - buffer metadata is always initialised.
 - first 64-bytes of metadata are initialised on free, so buffer alloc is very
fast
 - DPDK mempools are not used anymore, we register custom mempool ops, and dpdk
is taking buffers from VPP
 - to support such operation plugin can request external header space - in case
of DPDK it stores rte_mbuf + rte_mempool_objhdr

I'm still running some tests so possible minor changes are possible, but
nothing major expected.

--
Damjan