The tests in src/vppinfra are lightly used - primarily by me - but yes, we do
use them from time to time.

test-gcov has worked as expected - at least on x86_64 - since we merged
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/19379/. Running gcov manually is possible, but
frankly it's not recommended. If you insist:

  *   Either "make test-gcov" or run a "PLATFORM=vpp TAG=vpp_gcov" image.
  *   For each file which managed to execute code, you should find a ".gcda"
file.
  *   To manufacture a .gcov file, "gcov xxx.gcda".
  *   Look at the [set of] foo.c.gcov files in your favorite text editor.

You'd be much better off running "lcov," which produces nice html reports and
[importantly] understands multi-architecture executables. See attached scripts.

$ cd <workspace-root>

$ lcov_prep

$ make test-gcov

$ lcov_post

Nice html output in build-root/html, point a browser at
build-root/html/index.html

HTH... Dave