Sorry for not being clear.

Each of the interfaces is connected to a different network (ISP). The
scenario is of dual WAN.
One ISP is providing static address and other is providing DHCP.

wan1 is receiving DHCP.

If I ONLY have:
ip route add 0.0.0.0/0 via 172.78.10.158 wan0
then I am able to ping from wan0

If I ONLY have:
ip route add 0.0.0.0/0 via wan1
then I am able to ping from wan1

ping works from one interface or the other but not both. So, I am
using this to setup dual WAN scenario where if one ISP is down, I can
move the outbound connections via wan1 and vise versa.

Thanks!