If I only put one phy nic, i.e., eth0, to vpp, 'sh hardware' shows it is
up. If I put both eth0 and eth1 in vpp, eth0 is always down. It seems
something is wrong with the nic or vpp does not support this type of
hardware?

We tried enabling autoneg on R230. It is not allowed. To avoid asymmetric
settings, disabling autoneg on R740 will help?