From: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> On Behalf Of Satya Murthy
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2019 6:31 AM
To: vpp-dev@lists.fd.io
Subject: [vpp-dev] Crash in vlib_worker_thread_barrier_sync_int

Hi ,

We are seeing crash in vlib_worker_thread_barrier_sync_int() function as soon
as we send a CLI command to VPP.
We are sending CLI command to VPP via a script, which may not be waiting enough
for VPP initialization to settle.

I see that the crash is happening in the following piece of code.
  while (*vlib_worker_threads->workers_at_barrier != count)
    {
      if ((now = vlib_time_now (vm)) > deadline)
    {
      fformat (stderr, "%s: worker thread deadlock\n", __FUNCTION__);
      os_panic ();  <<<<<<<<  Here
    }

From what I see in the code, not all worker threads got a chance to increment
workers_at_barrier  and hence not able to hit the condition within the deadline
( 1 sec) and hence the crash. Is my understanding correct ?

If so, are we sending the CLI command too early to VPP ( before all workers
initialized ), and hence this crash ?

Any inputs on this would really help us.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Murthy