Hi Dom,

> On Dec 12, 2019, at 12:29 PM, dch...@akouto.com wrote:
>
> Hi Florin,
>
> The saga continues, a little progress and more questions. In order to reduce
> the variables, I am now only using VPP on one of the VMs: iperf3 server is
> running on a VM with native Linux networking, and iperf3+VCL client running
> on the second VM.

FC: Okay!

> I've pasted the output from a few commands during this test run below and
> have a few questions if you don't mind.
> The "show errors" command indicates "Tx packet drops (dpdk tx failure)". I
> have done quite a bit of searching, found other mentions of this in other
> threads but no tips as to where to look or hints on how it was / can be
> solved. Any thoughts?
FC: The number of drops is not that large, so we can ignore for now.
> I'm not really sure how to interpret the results of "show run" but nothing
> jumps out at me, do you see anything useful in there?
FC: Nothing apart from the fact that one of vpp’s workers is moderately loaded
(you’re still running 3 workers).
> Some of the startup.conf options were not working for me, so I switched to
> building from source (I chose to use tag v20.01-rc0 for some stability).
> Still no luck with some of the options:
> When I try to use tcp { tso } I get this: 0: tcp_config_fn: unknown input `
> tso'
FC: You need to get “closer” to master HEAD. That tag was laid when 19.08 was
released but tso support was merged afterwards. Typically our CI infra is good
enough to keep things running so you might want to try master latest.
> When I try to use num-mbufs in the dpdk section, I get 0: dpdk_config:
> unknown input `num-mbufs 65535’
FC: This was deprecated at one point. The new stanza is "buffers {
buffers-per-numa <number> }"

> Do you know if these options are supported? I can't figure out a way to
> increase mbufs since the above option does not work, and when I try to use
> socket-mem (which according to the documentation is needed if there is a need
> for a larger number of mbufs) I get this: dpdk_config:1408: socket-mem
> argument is deprecated

FC: Yes, this was also deprecated.

> To answer some of your questions from your previous reply:
> I have indeed been using taaskset and watching CPU load with top to make sure
> things are going where I expect them to go
> I am not trying to use jumbo buffers, increasing "default data-size" was just
> an attempt to see if there would be a difference
> Thanks for the cubic congestion algo suggestion, made the change but no
> improvement

FC: Understood! I guess that means we should try tso. I just tested it and it
seems dpdk stanza needs an extra "dpdk {enable-tcp-udp-checksum}” apart from
“dpdk { dev <id> { tso on } }”. Let me know if you hit any other issues with
it. You’ll know that it’s running if you do “show session verbose 2” and you
see “TSO" in the cfg flags, instead of “TSO off”.