From: <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io> on behalf of Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>
Date: Tuesday 25 February 2020 at 16:25
To: vpp-dev <vpp-dev@lists.fd.io>
Cc: Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>
Subject: [vpp-dev] Can I submit some API changes for 19.08, et al. release
branches?

I've got a couple of changes to the ipsec API that I'd like to upstream to
match the vpp "kernel" code I'm going try and upstream to strongswan.

1) Add: Add an ip_route_lookup/reply pair (semver minor++)
2) Fix: Add IS_INBOUND flag (value 0x40) to ipsec_sad_flags (semver patch++)
optional) Fix: possibly add the other missing flags to ipsec_sad_flags so they
can be properly returned on queries.

I think submitting these for release branches is OK after reading
https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/API_Versioning

I'm coding to 19.08 right now, if I'd like to have those changes in that branch
I would imagine I'd need to also submit changes for 20.01 and master?

I admit to being confused about the CRC stuff, and the warnings in the 19.08.1
release notes and what those warnings imply. Is it safe to assume the CRC stuff
can be ignored and external clients will still work (given no semver major
change) even if a CRC chagnes?

Side Note: from the API link: "If a new message type is added, the old message
type must be maintained for at least one release. The change must be included
in the release notes, and it would be helpful if the message could be tagged as
deprecated in the API language and a logging message given to the user."

Given there are 3 releases per year, only maintaining an old compatible
function for 1 release seems rather aggressive. It does say "at least" though.
:)

Thanks,
Chris.

              • ... Neale Ranns via Lists.Fd.Io
              • ... Christian Hopps
              • ... Neale Ranns via Lists.Fd.Io
              • ... Christian Hopps
              • ... Neale Ranns via Lists.Fd.Io
            • ... Neale Ranns via Lists.Fd.Io
      • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via Lists.Fd.Io
        • ... Andrew Yourtchenko