Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer, I understand that there are many difficulties
and problems with renaming things in existing code which I did not
realize before.

> P.S. mapping "n_vectors" to whatever it means to you seems like a
> pretty minimal entry barrier. It's not like the code is inconsistent.

Here however I disagree: I think it can be a significant entry barrier.

If you imagine yourself in the position of someone who is a newcomer
starting to use and learn about VPP. Perhaps someone with an
engineering background who has an understanding of the "vector" concept
from linear algebra courses and so on. This person has read about the
ideas of how VPP works for example here
https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP/What_is_VPP%3F where it says "the VPP
platform grabs all available packets from RX rings to form a vector of
packets" which seems fine according to the usual meaning of the word
"vector". Up to that point everything is fine and someone familiar with
the vector concept will feel that their knowledge about vectors can be
useful when working with VPP. But at the moment when this person starts
looking at the code and sees "n_vectors" there, that will be confusing.
Making the assumption that the VPP source code uses its own definition
of what a "vector" is, is actually a pretty big step to make.

Of course it's not the first time a word has different meanings
depending on the context, but in this case the concept of a "vector" is
quite well established and also seems to be used according to its usual
meaning in VPP documentation. Then it becomes confusing when the word
apparently has a different meaning in the source code.

So, while you are probably right that it's not practical to rename
things like that in the existing code, I still think this issue can be
a significant obstacle for new people coming in.

Anyway, thanks again for explaining the situation, for me personally
this helped my understanding a lot.

Best regards,
Elias