Hi Satya,

> On 16 Jul 2020, at 18:44, Satya Murthy <satyamurthy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions on this.
>
> We did few more tests today, and here are some observations.
> Please let us know your thoughts on this.
>
> 1) We added a lock on the datapath also while doing rulematch using acl apis.
> The same lock is getting acquired while doing acl adds from other threads.
>
> With this, we are NOT seeing the crash.

Right. Did you you do the experiment that I suggested though ?

> So, one question we have is:
> Even when the main thread does control plane operations on ACLs ( like add /
> dels), the other workers will not be able to safely use the ACL apis to do
> rule matching ?

The api calls to do the changes (which are intended to be the way to modify the
rules) are non-MP-safe, so the workers are at barrier during the calls, this
gives the safety, which you more or less recreated with a separate lock.

> Taking this lock in the datapath is surely not desirable, as it will hit
> performance.
> Please let us know your thoughts on this.

I considered the modifications of policy aren’t going to happen in real time
*and* be done exclusively via the API calls - so they are what they are...

That said, I am always very happy to accept the patches that improve the
functionality and perfoemance :-)

> 2) When we observed the crash earlier, we were doing only ACL adds and
> pumping data
> So, the contention is between adding new ACLs and using the ACLs during
> rulematch. There are delete of ACLs at all.
> This is one more observation we want to share with you, if that can give some
> hints for the crash.

So, what exactly is the sequence of calls you are executing? And what is the
*full* use-case ? Who and when is going to delete the ACLs ? That would help to
figure out if there is a better approach.

—a