Hi all,

It's my understanding that when you set the size of the main heap or the
stat segment in startup.conf, the size you specify is used to set up
virtual address space and the system does not actually allocate that full
amount of memory to VPP. I think when VPP tries to read/write addresses
within the address space, then memory is requested from the system to back
the chunk of address space containing the address being accessed. Is my
understanding correct(ish)?

When I add a large number of routes to the FIB (>1M), I have seen VPP crash
when the main heap or stats segment run out of space. I am wondering if it
makes sense to just set the heap sizes to some huge value that I am
confident will not be exceeded. If memory is not allocated unless it's
needed, it seems like that would be ok to do.

Thanks,
-Matt