On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 6:36 AM Damjan Marion <dmar...@me.com> wrote:

> > On 01.07.2021., at 11:12, Benoit Ganne (bganne) via lists.fd.io <bganne=
> cisco....@lists.fd.io> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, allowing dynamic heap growth sounds like it could be better.
> >> Alternatively... if memory allocations could fail and something more
> >> graceful than VPP exiting could occur, that may also be better. E.g. if
> >> I'm adding a route and try to allocate a counter for it and that fails,
> it
> >> would be better to refuse to add the route than to exit and take the
> >> network down.
> >>
> >> I realize that neither of those options is easy to do btw. I'm just
> trying
> >> to figure out how to make it easier and more forgiving for users to set
> up
> >> their configuration without making them learn about various memory
> >> parameters.
> >
> > Understood, but setting a very high default will just make users of
> smaller config puzzled too 😊 and I think changing all memory allocation
> callsites to check for NULL would be a big paradigm change in VPP.
> > That's why I think a dynamically growing heap might be better but I do
> not really know what would be the complexity.
> > That said, you can probably change the default in your own build and
> that should work.
> >

> Fully agree wirth Benoit. We should not increase heap size default value.
>
> Things are actually a bit more complicated. For performance reasons people
> should use
> hugepages whenever they are available, but they are also not default.
> When hugepages are used all pages are immediately backed with physical
> memory.
>
> So different use cases require different heap configurations and end user
> needs to tune that.
> Same applies for other things like stats segment page size which again may
> impact forwarding
> performance significantly.
>
> If messing with startup.conf is too complicated for end user, some nice
> configuration script may be helpful.
> Or just throwing few startup.confs into extras/startup_configs.
>
> Dynamic heap is possible, but not straight forward, as at some places we
> use offsets
> to the start of the heap, so additional allocation cannot be anywhere.
> Also it will not help in some cases, i.e. when 1G hugepage is used for
> heap, growing up to 2G
> will fail if 2nd 1G page is not pre-allocated.

Sorry for not being clear. I was not advocating any change to defaults in
VPP code in gerrit. I was trying to figure out the impact of changing the
default value written in startup.conf by the management plane I work on.
And also have a conversation on whether there are ways that it could be
made easier to tune memory parameters correctly.

-Matt