Hoi,

Please take a look at the following - it describes how to add Bird into a
dedicated *network namespace* (typically 'dataplane') precisely so that the
default kernel table is not impacted. From there, the LinuxCP plugin
listens to that 'dataplane' namespace instead and installs all routes.
https://ipng.ch/s/articles/2021/09/02/vpp-5.html

To take an Ubuntu server and walk through the entire install, so that it is
built/configured as a full router, take a look at this article:
https://ipng.ch/s/articles/2021/09/21/vpp-7.html

The thing you're missing, and may not be obvious from the articles, is that
you will run bird (and other things, like sshd or snmpd, etc) in this new
namespace, like so (note the bold part in ExecStart):

pim@nlams0:~$ cat << EOF | sudo tee
/usr/lib/systemd/system/bird-dataplane.service
[Unit]
Description=BIRD Internet Routing Daemon
After=network.target netns-dataplane.service

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/bird/envvars
ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/bird/prepare-environment
ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/bird -p
ExecReload=/usr/sbin/birdc configure
ExecStart=*/sbin/ip netns exec dataplane */usr/sbin/bird -f -u
$BIRD_RUN_USER -g $BIRD_RUN_GROUP $BIRD_ARGS
Restart=on-abort

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
EOF

After that, you can stop, disable and mask the 'bird' systemd unit, and
enable the 'bird-dataplane' unit, after creating the network namespace (
https://ipng.ch/s/articles/2021/09/21/vpp-7.html describes this in detail).

groet,
Pim

--