On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 09:05:21PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Herbert Poetzl ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:48:43PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > Perhaps, I just don't like releasing legacy tools.  How difficult is it
> > > to move to the new tools?  Are the 'new' vservers the 2.6 ones, and the
> > > 'old' vservers the 2.4 ones, or can you have 'new' 2.4 vservers?
> >
> > in theory, you could have newstyle 2.4 vservers, practically
> > you won't do that, and the missing piece is a conversion
> > script, which takes the old config and converts it to the
> > new style config ...
> >
> > this would at least provide a one way 'upgrade' to newstyle
> > (not sure if that is better than allowing for both configs
> >  until legacy fades away ...)
>
> Well, if there's a workable upgrade script then we could run that in our
> post-inst and not have to ship the legacy tools.  It's a thought anyway,
> but it's up to the Debian maintainer if he wants to expend that effort
> or not.
>
> > > syslogd and klogd are seperate packages already, the problem is that
> > > klogd doesn't work and complains because it doesn't have proper
> > > permissions.  I think that's the main issue...
> >
> > hmm, so why not simply unconfigure (remove the link for
> > the kernel logger service for the default runlevel) and
> > be done? no change required at all, right?
>
> Sure, but you can't do that in the Debian util-vserver package. :) Can't
> touch other package config files.  That's one of the reasons why I think
> it shouldn't be the Debian's packages problem- let the user handle it,
> it's not that big of a deal...
>
> > so I see no issue there, as I said, just unconfigure
> > that 'hardware' related service like the others
> > (random, rtc, usb ...)
>
> Again, a Debian util-vserver package couldn't do that due to sane policy
> issues.  It'd be nice if we didn't have to worry about it because the
> kernel/vserver patch took care of it, but otherwise I think the user can
> handle it and maybe we could have some stuff in README.Debian about it.

you got that one wrong, the service is working fine
on the host, it's the guest setup which doesn't allow
for those services, and this IMHO has to be configured
at guest installation anyway (otherwise you end up with
a lot of error messages, when the vserver tries to access
the hardware, configure the usb disks or set the system
time) ...

so I really, really, dont see any issues with disabling
klogd (runlevel service that is) for a guest when it is
isntalled, and this will solve the klogd issues in the
guest (there should be none on the host, if so then it's
a bug and we will try to fix it ...)

>       Stephen

best,
Herbert