Xavier Montagutelli wrote:

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 19:12, Lars Hallberg wrote:
I'm new to VServer and need a way copy vservers, in short term.
vserver-copy don't work no more and replacment is not done yet? This is
a small script to (on local host only) copy a vserver.

What I wonder before taking it further is.... Have I missed something
important?
[.. script ..]

10 cents :

1) copy the .pkg dir, usually /vservers/.pkg/$from, which has a link under /etc/vservers/<vserver>/apps/pkgmgmt/base . Used if you build vservers with "vserver vs build"
Don't seem to have one, might be becuse I use package management internal?

Don't know howe much difference this make, but I using Ubuntu 5.10 and the debian tools. Built my original 'guest' with somthing like:

# newvserver -v --hostname testname --domain "foo.bar" --ip IPADDRESS

$copy $confdir/$from/apps/pkgmgmt/base/. $confdir/.defaults/vdirbase/.pkg/$to
cd $confdir/$to/apps/pkgmgmt
ln -fs $confdir/.defaults/vdirbase/.pkg/$to base

2) modify name automatically to avoid errors ?
echo $to > $confdir/$to/name
echo $to > $confdir/$to/interfaces/0/name
ed $confdir/$to/uts/nodename <<EOF
1,\$s/$from/$to/
EOF
Is that name internal to the vserver level, or is it the 'running' hostname. Trying to make this a 'clean' copy tool (and possably make a separate conf tool to change hostname, ip etc). It shuld alowe copy, posably including stoping and starting to make a 'safe' backup and stoping the source system, copy and starting the target system to make a clean migrate. Probably options --backup and --migrate respectivly.

As most of this is to be integrated with the vserver comand, it's realy throw away code.... But I need it short term to let pretty newbe sysadm move services around.

3) modify IP automatically ?

4) modify context number automatically (if you use static context numbers, which is preferred) ?
Don't think I do, possably I shuld... Wher can I read about pro and con?

Thanks /LaH