hi,

apologies if someone else has already answered - i write offline ;-)

Mark wrote:
> Could anyone elaborate on the use of backupninja with vservers?

backupninja is a great tool and works well with vservers. it is available from
Riseup Labs [0], along with a few other tools, customised for debian (and
possibly also distros, can't remember).

> I'm trying to find the most simple and straight forward way to do
> backups. (Host and Vserver).
>
> So far I'm running a tar of the /vservers/[name-o-vserver] and
> /etc/vservers/[name-o-vserver] onto a samba mounted drive on a
> different machine.

backupninja is really just a control/config program for individual tools such as
rdiff-backup, duplicity, mysql-hotcopy, etc. it has many capabilities (i don't
use all of them), including use with vservers. this is done by running it from
the host machine (i've not tried running it from a guest).

> This will work well. But not for always because in order to make a
> good backup, One needs to first shut down the vserver, make the
> backup, and then start the vserver. (If you run torrents for
> instance, those will be killed. etc.)

i think that backupninja can be configured to take snapshots, but i'm not
entirely sure. depends on how exactly you configure it.

> Another way would be to make use of LVM and it's snapshot feature.
> Which is very cool solution.
>
> I'd like to try my hand at backupninja. It is supposed to have
> vserver aware functionality in it. But I can't find any documentation
> about it on the net, except for this very list[1].

follow the links from below [1].

> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> [1] = <http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg11825.html>

[0] http://dev.riseup.net
[1] http://dev.riseup.net/backupninja
- --

love and solidarity,

        --gdm

http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Main/GarconDuMonde

i have a NEW key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 594B97C2
Key fingerprint = 7B70 F22D F275 D111 3A04  F9EE 0E25 4944 594B 97C2